Important Dental Procedures and Getting a Dental Checkup

Posted on: October 27, 2017

Dental The fall season has officially arrived which means you only have a few months before your dental benefits reset on December 31st. This means that any benefits you didn’t use, like dental checkups, will be lost as we roll into the new year. Dental insurance companies make lots of money each year because people will forget and sometimes not even know what they can spend with their dental insurance.

According to the Center for Disease Control, 64% of adults visit the dentist at least once a year. That leaves 36% of adults who are not taking advantage of their dental insurance. It’s no surprise that every year thousands of dollars are collected by dental insurance companies from unused dental benefits. If you are unsure what your benefits include, talk to your insurance provider. Finding out the maximum amount you can spend is important in determining how to best spend that money. However, you should also keep your deductible in mind and make your monthly premiums count.

Common dental benefits include cosmetic care like teeth whitening, preventative care like cleanings, and restorative care like crowns. These are all ways in which you can take full advantage of the dental benefits that you are paying for. Other procedures include:

  • Periodontics
  • Dentures
  • Implants
  • Fillings
  • Ridge Work

One of the best benefits to take advantage of are dental checkups. These are checkups that include preventative care that are recommended at least twice a year. This is where you can receive a dental exam to make sure your teeth are in good health. These are important exams that make it possible to detect diseases, infections, and maintain your overall oral health. Many exams can determine root causes of common struggles like bad breath or discolored teeth. On top of keeping your teeth in good shape, your dentist will also clean and polish your teeth helping you leave with a brighter and whiter smile.

At your checkup you can expect your dentist to discuss your diet, medication, and other things that may be affecting you oral health. It’s important to let your dentist know of any illnesses you’re dealing with. For example, if you have Diabetes then it’s important to let your dentist know that because you’re automatically at high risk for gum disease. After noting your medical history your dentist then may proceed to start examining you.

One of the most important tools used in a dental exam is the dental x-ray. Though they’re not needed at every dental visit, x-rays allow the dentist to see each one of your teeth at a high quality level. There are different types of x-rays, including:

  • Panoramic
  • Bitweing
  • Periapical
  • Occlusal
  • Cone Beam

If you are concerned about radiation exposure, please note that the exposure is very low. As always if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to reach out to your local dentist. They can help you get a better idea of what procedure would be most beneficial to you with your insurance. Remember, happy teeth equal happy health!



Related Posts

June 12, 2018

7 Reasons Why You Need Regular Dental Visits

A dental visit every six months is essential for good oral health. Gone are the days when dentists focused more on fixing dental issues than preventing them. The American Dental Association recommends going to the …

February 18, 2017

Delaying A Dental Checkup Will Only Make Things Worse

Has it been a while since your last dental checkup? Keep your smile healthy by scheduling one today If it is time for a dental checkup or you have not had one in the last six …

April 27, 2017

Easy Steps To Prevent Dental Infection

For anyone who grinds his or her teeth at night, there are possible options for at-home treatment. Grinding teeth can wear down the tooth enamel and cause jaw pain. Since the teeth grinding occurs at …

March 17, 2017

There's No Need To Let Infection Ruin The Weekend

Make sure the weekends remain great by preventing dental infection with the proper care. Preventative dental care occurs in our office and at home with proper dental hygiene. We can perform professional cleanings and examinations, while …